Okay, I got the Remote Management Console to work but I turned off the servers firewall which isn’t a great idea in production but for development and learning will do for now until I get a better solution. I turned off the firewall by using the following command netsh firewall set opmode mode=disable . I did get a message that this command is deprecated however but it still works.
Next step was to set the authentication details for the server so I could actually administer it. Now it works, sort of.
I’ll look into setting up AD on the 2012 server and connecting the win 8 machine to the domain and seeing if that makes administration easier.
Some other blogs to look into: